Sometimes you just want to relax at home at watch your favorite shows or play games without public interference. As much as TVs and laptops are good, they don’t provide immersive audiovisual experience. They lack features such as high lighting contrast, deep black levels, and high resolution. To enhance the viewing experience, some people may opt to use the home theater projector. This article highlights how you should choose a home theater projector and gives a review of some of the best projectors on the market.
What’s a Home Theater Projector?
It’s a device that is used to enhance entertainment and gaming experience. A home theater projector beams rays of light on to a screen in order to produce crystal clear images with deep black levels. Generally, it has a great audio-visual production.
How to Choose a Home Theater Projector
The type of a home theater projector that you choose depends on what you want to use it for. Is it for watching movies, playing games, or just for family fun? But regardless of what you need it for, there are some general factors which you have to consider. They include:
Placement Location and Room Size
In order for you to choose the best home theater projector for your home, you need to consider where it will be placed. The distance between the screen and the projector has to be considered. If your living room is small or has a medium size, the projector’s distance to the screen should be around 1.5. To 2.5 meters. This means that you need something that has a short throw. However, if your home is very large, then you need a projector which has a screen distance of 2.5 to 4 meters. Additionally, it should be able to project 100-inch screen.
Type of Installation
You should choose a home theater projector based on the type of installation position that you want. Is it a side or front installation? If you want an enjoyable and comfortable viewing experience, you need to consider the normal movements in your home and the furniture layout. The projector should be located on a place that’s more convenient and safe. You can place it to the screen’s right or left side to limit obstructions and also allow easier movements of other family members. This means that you should go for a home theater projector which has a side projection and the horizontal–keystone correction. Such a device has the ability to perfectly align pictures from the side. If you are going to mount the projector on the table, the model that you should choose needs to have the vertical keystone-correction for vertical image alignment.
For a superb viewing experience, some people may decide to turn the lights off. This helps to create a cinematic effect. If you want to replicate a cinematic experience then you need a device with around 2000 to 24000 lumens. However, those who want projectors that are bright should choose something that has 3,000 lumens or more.
Top Five Home Theater Projectors
There are numerous brands of home theater projectors which continue to release various models on the market. But innovation has made it easier to distinguish which are the best and top-rated projectors currently. Based on their features and price, below is a review of the top home theater projectors.
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3020E
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 3020E is considered as one of the best home theater projectors the second generation device is the successor of Epson’s 3010e projector and it features a whole new bunch of upgraded features. 3020E easily transforms your living room and creates a cinematic effect that’s unmatched thanks to its wide color gamut and image production.
- Numerous accessories which include dual pair of the RF 3D glasses and an HDIM transmitter.
- Its wireless transmitter can be used to connect up to 5 different HD sources which include A/V receivers, Blu-ray players, and game consoles.
- Has 1080p resolution and is capable of projecting 3D images.
- It has 5 preset options for pictures i.e. Auto, Natural, Dynamic, Cinema, and Living room.
- 3020E contains 2300 lumens that produce optimal color and white brightness and it can offer optimal projection even at long distance.
- It’s a versatile LCD projector that doesn’t produce the ‘rainbow effect’ which most DLP projectors have.
- Excellent color contrast
- Capable of offering dual-screen functionality
- Excellent shadow detail
- Features a wireless HDMI transmission
- There isn’t lens shifting
- The black levels should be upgraded
- Takes so long to start up
Bottom Line: this projector can perfectly produce 2D and 3D images. It’s a quality device that’s suitable for home entertainment.
This is a premium projector easily transforms the quality of any living room by creating a stunning home cinema.
Optoma UHD50 is a 4K UHD projector that has a spectacular color gamut that delivers amazing image details with high levels of clarity. Basically, this home theater projector simply brings your favorite games and blockbuster movies to life.
- It’s a high-performance home theater projector that uses the XPR and DMD technology to process videos.
- Its 140-inch screen offers an immersive cinematic viewing experience
- The black level is highly dynamic with a contrast ratio of 500 000:1
- The projector can work with the latest type soft 4K UHD devices thanks to the two HDMI -2.0 ports along with the HDPC 2.2. Support.
- It has a 15 percent vertical Lens-shift and 1.3x optical zoom for a flexible installation process.
- The projector comes with a wide range of color gamut
- It’s a gaming-ready home theater projector that is compatible with the latest gaming PCs and consoles
- Easy to set-up
- Small and loud fan
Bottom Line: UHD50 4K is a great home theater projector that offers a great visual experience. The cost-friendly device has a stunning color accuracy and it’s perfect for streaming videos as well.
BenQ HT2550 is the best home theater projector for an immersive audiovisual experience. HT2550 is an attractive light beamer that has a beautiful design. The audio and image enhancer can produce images in 3D and it uses the latest technology to offer an authentic and thrilling cinematic experience
- 4K UHD resolution with awe-inspiring picture quality
- Well-defined and crispy clear images
- Has HDR10 support
- It uses the cinematic color technology to reproduce over 96 percent of the color gamut
- HT2550 is a small and light home theater projector that can be carried or stored in compact spaces
- Impressive inbuilt speakers
- Amazing color accuracy
- Its bright in all environments
- The port selection is limited
- Its blacks aren’t very deep
Bottom Line: although its blacks are not very deep, this projector boasts of clear and vivid images which are well-detailed. Its color accuracy, as well as image integrity, allow it to produce blur-free and smooth images which lack interference patterns or shadowing.
Sony VPL-HW30ES is a standalone home theater projector which has an amazing contrast ratio and image brightness. VPL-HW30ES is designed with the latest technology and it has modern features which allow for easy setup and control. The projector allows you to enjoy immersive 3D content at the comfort of your home. It has the ability to produce high definition images and perfectly meets various international capabilities. VPL-HW30ES can be described as a global-ready type of projector that’s also suitable for long distance learning apps and teleconferencing.
- A great dynamic contrast ratio of 70000:1
- It has rich and strong black levels
- It allows image up-scaling. VPL-HW30ES allows you to turn 2D content to 3D thanks to the conversion algorithm
- The 240 Hz Panel-Drive alongside the dynamic lamp helps to minimize any form of 3D crosstalk.
- Nine preset modes which include gaming, standard, photo, cinema etc., alongside picture calibration features
- It can fit into various types of complex rooms thanks to the 1.6x –manual zoom, vertical, and horizontal shift.
- Quiet fan
- Amazing picture calibrations features
- Has deep black levels for an immersive experience and vibrant pictures
- It comes with a 3-year warranty
- Random cross talks in certain circumstances
- It lacks the 12volt trigger output
Bottom Line: VPL-HW30ES is a great home theater projector that can fit even in complex rooms. It has a cinema-like brightness and can perfectly adjust in different environments. The projector is good for movies, TV shows, and gaming.
ViewSonic Pro9000 is a full HD hybrid projector that’s great for home cinema. Pro9000 has Laser LED screen with 1080p resolution. It is equipped with quality components which help to ensure that the projector delivers stunning image colors with a super high contrast ratio of 100,000:1. Pro9000 is known to produce razor-sharp images which perfectly meets the need of every cinema enthusiast.
- The DarkChip3 Texas Instruments technology produces stunning colors
- It has 1600 ANSI Lumens which produce astonishing and crystal clear images
- It has more than 20,000 hours of sustainable filter-life
- Offers convenience with its instant off or on feature
- Uses the laser LED hybrid technology
- Has a wide color gamut
- Excellent motion handling
- Lacks the rainbow effect
- May produce a type of speckling noise
- Some pictures may lack subtle details
- Minimal zoom and lack of lens shift
Bottom Line: This is a great home theater projector which uses the laser LED hybrid light sources. Although it is very expensive compared to its peers, Pro9000 has amazing image resolution and the ability to fit in complex room spaces.
The above-mentioned projectors can easily change your home entertainment experience. They have superb image quality, great audio, and minimal sound production by the fan. Although they may have some downsides, these projectors guarantee users cinematic viewing experience as well as value for money.